Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Day 1: My Facebook Hiatus

Yesterday I changed my FB status to read something like "Kim Ta is conducting a test. Going on a FB hiatus for the month of November. Will I become more or less distant from people? If you need to reach me, please call or email."

I realized I had been spending entirely too much time on the social networking site, updating my status, clicking here and there on peoples' links and pictures. It was at least an hour at a time, no less. I had an idea of what my FB friends were up to even though I didn't hear their voices. I'm glad I can find out about things like the passing of an old friend (not a FB friend) via the site. There are awesome events people tell me about. And I get excited to see what clever and fun things people are sharing. But I started feeling like I forgot how to really be in touch with people. What if I started speaking like I was updating my status? What if I lose the meaning of a friendship with the friends I have FB friended? Or with the friends that are NOT my friends on Facebook? That would suck.

Who knows... maybe I'll be more productive and proactive with my time.

So I'll post updates about how this experiment is going from time to time. I wonder what I will me missing. Or gladly not missing from not signing on. OR maybe the point is to stop wondering and pick up the phone.

No comments: