Monday, June 30, 2008

It's Mental

(meaning, "A Little Crazy" and "Willpower" at the same time)

On a whim, I signed up for the Long Beach Half Marathon, which is going to be held October 12. I did the Honolulu Marathon in 2002, so I'm not new to the marathon training regiment. However, this time I don't have a training partner or group. Instead, I have my wits and a training program built into the nike.com website. It's pretty neat. I enter my training level, (Beginning, Intermediate 1 or 2, or Advanced). I chose Intermediate 1 because I need to improve my time. The program then maps out and details when I should do runs, with how much Perceived Exertion, what distances, etc. The gimmick is that I have to buy something that allows me to sync my runs into the computer so I can keep track of my progress. Eh! I needed one anyway. And I have to get a new pair of shoes since I've been running so much. I see these things as investments in my personal health--what a concept!

What's this mean for my diet? Cutting back and/or cutting out alcohol, caffeine, junk food, fast food, empty carbs. Consciously focused on intake of water, veggies, lean protein, and water again--of course, all of this I should be doing anyway.

Why in the world would I do this? You ask? I operate best when I have a goal. Fitness goals and physical challenges keep me focused and I'm looking forward to testing my mettle. Wish me luck.

No comments: