Friday, March 14, 2008

The Pi-Day Report - 3.14

I took myself on a date today, and I must say, I had a really great time. I'm not sure how many people intentionally spend time by themselves.... if you're not that kind of person, you should try it. It's refreshing!

It was an overcast March morning when I got to the Mt. Hollywood trailhead (next to the Griffith Observatory parking lot).


Ghost City. View of Downtown LA from the Observatory. This is one of the few times that the haze obscuring the buidings is more marine layer than smog.



I got there at about 10:30am, but the Observatory didn't open until noon. Awesome building.



Trailhead marker. In case you needed a visual.



Self-portrait. Coming back down from the top, I took a wrong turn. Instead of backtracking I decided to take the steep hill up to where I was supposed to be in order to get back to the parking lot. It looked like I wasn't the only one who made the mistake because there was a faint trail leading up. I was carrying a camera and a water bottle, hoping not to fall, slide backward or injure myself.



Malheureusement, my arm scraped a few branches. Battle scars.




I drove on the 110 from the Mt. (Hollywood) to the coast, ending up at the Korean Friendship Bell Park in San Pedro. By this time the sun was out and the wind was a-kickin. When I bought my kite, I knew this was the place I was going to fly it. There is ALWAYS wind here. Though the wind was in full force, I had some trouble, as one would suspect trying to fly a kite without another person/hand for launch assistance.


With a little help from a film crewman, I finally got it flying high! Success! It only took a dozen crash landings.



I noticed a mom and her son having a bit of trouble with their kite and asked if they needed help. At first the mom just said it was tangled and they didn't need help. A few minutes later the little boy walked up to me and said, "Umm, can you help me and my mom with our kite?" Gladly.


Mom and son. After some minor surgery and repairs, the space shuttle took off towards the moon.


Man, I love living in LA!

No comments: