Monday, April 25, 2011

Jazz: My thoughts in a few measures

Each afternoon that I leave my History of Jazz class I have a sense of elation and ease knowing that I filled my mind with just a tad more awesomeness. It's like I'm learning more words to describe and appreciate a love I have had but didn't know how to express. We started with basic Miles and Coltrane (and will probably revisit) and we are now at the end of the Swing Era with Ella Fitzgerald, Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday, Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller.... Listening to the evolution of jazz from it's European classical, African worksong, Blues, Ragtime, Swing, Bebop, etc roots and the people and figures that helped shape the art bring me so much closer to it. I am by no means a musician, so some of the learning does not come naturally (hearing the differences in instrumentation, rhythm, chord changes, and time signatures). But I love it! Every lecture, I'm impressed at the talent and richness of jazz history AND the nuances and variations in style and performance--makes me want to learn more.


As much as I like to make lists, I kinda like to speak in metaphors. It helps my mind wrap itself around a particular thought:

I have always contended that a good jazz performance is like a really good relationship. Band members are passionate about their role in playing the song. They may each have the opportunity to improvise and share his/her sound with the world. It's a matter of listening to each other, playing off of each other's energy, understanding each other's limitations, complementing each other's skills and talents, and when the time is right allowing the other to do her thing / play her solo (while the soloist knows she has her bandmate's full support and will jump in to help carry the song when she is done). Like life, the song is dynamic. People are dynamic and ever-changing.

The romantic side of me (a.k.a. the sap) is still looking for her bandmate and jazz partner. Someone who on a mellow day has a natural tempo close to hers, but also knows how to speed it up or slow it down as life (or the particular song) calls for it. If my partner hears my part of the song change, my hope is that he recognizes, responds, plays along or helps to steer it in another amazing direction. A girl can hope that there is one out there for her. Maybe I should put out a want ad.

WANTED: BANDMATE. FEMALE MUSICIAN WHO MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF HER OWN DRUM SEEKS MALE MUSICIAN, PREFERABLY ONE WELL-VERSED ON UPRIGHT BASS OR OTHER CURVY FEMALE-SHAPED INSTRUMENT, FOR THE JAZZ PERFORMANCE OF A LIFETIME.
(Yep. I just went there. Deal with it. Hahahaha)

No comments: