Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Remember when?

Whether or not Barack Obama wins the election, he will have had a lasting impact on my life. Thank you Obama for your time at ACORN as a community organizer. Because of you, less people will give me that perplexed look each time I explain the five years of my life after college.

I was a Community Organizer.

Yes, that means I dedicated my life to bringing up the lot of low income people and connecting people to resources, whether they existed or should exist.
Indeed, what I wanted the most was to restore dignity to people who did everything in their power to survive and feed their families.
EmphaticallyI wanted to encourage each of the students I worked with to force open doors of opportunity, and use those opportunities to succeed and help their communities.
-->
Each person I came in contact with--whether it was the family who lived in the converted garage, the city officials who talked out of both sides of their mouth, the parents and teachers and organizations who came together because they cared, or the recovering addicts who cleaned our office--taught me a lot about myself and helped me realize what kind of life I want to live.

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

Kim, thanks for the guidance during those first few months when I was so green to organizing! :)

Once an organizer, always an organizer!