Saturday, July 21, 2007

The Last Hoorah

Another potential hash mark on my list of things to do is to follow a budget. This starts tomorrow. Today I went on a shopping spree... spent about $250 on a combination of boots, shirts, pair of socks, and gift. In one day.

My last hoorah I must call it. This cannot continue.

I finally figured out a way to curb my shopping habit. I've been trying to for several years. This one's a three-pronged approach. First, I will be budgeting all of my income and setting aside a modest $50 per month for personal-items shopping, which includes clothes, shoes, accessories, electronics, and miscellaneous and not-absolutely-necessary items. Second, I will not carry around my credit card. Third, (and here is where I will need help) I will need 2-3 volunteers to serve as my approval board for these so-called personal items. I should be setting this $50 aside to go toward my laptop, so I will need an approval board (a.k.a. nagging reminder people) to help me remember how much I want this laptop. I'd nominate my mother, but I think that will be so effective it will hurt. I would also like to nominate the BF. But he hates nagging and thus hates to nag. I guess I will have to ask my brothers...

If that does not work, I guess I have to try it the old-fashioned way.

With willpower.

BTW, I passed up multiple offers to help eat people's kalbi today. Though it was tough, it felt good to say no. Let's see how this anti-shopaholism system pans out.

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

Willpower! You can do it! Last year I went on a 3 month and then a 4 month stint of no shopping. :P I'd recommend to not even go to any place where you could be tempted to spend unnecessary money. That's how I managed. Plus, don't rely on other people. It's more effective if the discipline comes from within. :) Good lucks!