Monday, May 21, 2007

[Almost] Hot guys

A few weeks ago, I went to closing night at Visual Communications' annual film festival, where they screened THE REBEL (Dong Mau Anh Hung), directed by Charlie Nguyen. It was in Vietnamese and French, with English subtitles. The male lead/hero is played by the director's very attractive younger brother, known in the credits as Johnny Tri Nguyen. I was one shirtless fight scene away from needing a bib when the film ended. Sigh.

After the credits stopped rolling, the director, producers and lead actors came on stage to talk about their experience putting the film together. And then it happened--the Let Down. Mr. Johnny Tri Nguyen spoke English and I winced. It sounded as though he had inhaled a breath full of helium before he spoke. I was crushed. How could he be my celebrity crush of the summer with that voice? Can you imagine, "Hey Baby, I'm so hot for you" in a voice slightly resembling that of Porky Pig (sans stuttering)? Double sigh.

I left the Aratani theatre and sought comfort in the reception outside. There, I met friends who swear Johnny Tri Nguyen was going to be their baby's daddy. I couldn't help it--I had to break the news. They were also in disbelief. So they did what any smitten woman would do...they wanted to see it for themselves, that the object of their affection/lust really was only eye candy. We scoured the reception, looking for the star with the excuse that we wanted a photo.

We got it.



Later on in the week, I did what I ususally do when I have a celebrity crush: I google-stalked Johnny Tri Nguyen. I could not believe what I found:

1. He is 33 years old. In person he looks 19.
2. He has been married. What?!
3. He also goes by the name Minh Tri when he's performing as a
Vietnamese pop star with Van Son entertainment. The scariest thing I found.
4. We have the best pictures of him. The great thing about photo
stills is that you can look and you don't have to listen.

And if you still wanted to read on...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Tri_Nguyen
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1248798/

He's an interesting cat. Not exactly my type.

2 comments:

Jeannie said...

van son entertainment, haha. i actually used to watch those videos back when he was funny. everytime i get one of those paris by night videos i just skip all the cheesy singing and go straight to the comedy.

l. renaissance said...

hes actually cute, but i hope he gt paid hella money to do that freaking candy girl chorus.