Friday, June 27, 2008

Life on the Ambulance, Vol. 1

As of this moment I have logged in about 237 hours at the private ambulance company where I work. One of the first lessons I learned in training was, "Don't make their emergency your emergency." I say that to myself each time I get a 911/fire call. Actually, only about 98% of the calls I get are on the private side--which means I'm a glorified medical taxi taking patients from hospitals to other hospitals, convalescent homes, dialysis centers, MRI offices, etc.

Everyone guesses that I am about 24-25, and are usually perplexed that little ol' me is there instead of some 6-foot white dude in his early 20's that looks like he surfs in his spare time and is on the way to becoming a Firefighter or Paramedic. When I tell them I want to be a nurse, they seem to understand. Still, a few of them still take one glance at me and tell me (and my partner), "You'd better not drop me."

As an attendant (not a driver), I get to sit in the back with the patients and talk to them (given that they are alert and oriented) as I monitor their vital signs. I've had dozens of fascinating conversations with patients. After the important medical questions, my favorite question to ask older female patients--whose husbands were in the hospital upon pick up--is, "How long have you been married?" and "What do you think is the key to a successful relationship?" I'm still collecting stories, but the common thread is Patience. There always ups and downs... how you get through those times is as important as the act itself. In between time, "Don't go to bed mad." If I get to it, I tell them a little about myself since they are offering so much of themselves. I tell them that I recently had a 6-year relationship end about 9 months ago. And they give me the same look. The wince that says, "Ouch, that much be tough." It is the same look anyone that has been in love gives me when when I tell them that.

1 comment:

Tawny, Bo and Orion Aye said...

hey kim! your job sounds interesting! after spending so much time in ICU, it makes me want to be a nurse, but i just don't think i can handle it. props to you and your heart in wanting to help others. looking forward to reading more :)